Tuesday, July 24, 2007

I'm really going to do it!

I can't believe its true, but I am doing a mini-triathlon! Come September I will be swimming, biking and running for a day! There are 2 other girls doing it with me. Its interesting how it all came about.......I was doing a presentation with Arbonne when the hostess, Amanda, asked if I would like to do a triathlon with her. Normally I would have politely refused instantly, but something made me stop and think. "I've wanted to get into better shape and into the HABIT of exercising for a while now, but it's been hard to be consistent when there is no clear goal. Here is a definite clear goal. What a great opportunity for me! I get the bests of both worlds: workout buddies and an end goal. I don't have to finish first, I can go at my own pace during the triathlon...the important thing is FINISHING. I should do it! It will certainly push me outside of my comfort zone, but......that is where growth takes place. I really could use a change too and it would be GREAT to have something to look forward to instead of sitting at home alone, especially these last few months before Jason comes home. I NEED something to look forward to"......isn't it great how God provides for our every need even when what we need is to get out of a rut and off our butts?
I had a little extra incentive too...when I mentioned it to Jason he thought it was a great idea....in fact he told me how great that would be that we could finally run together. ( We attempted a run together when we were camping in Texas in February of 2006. It was awful! I had no stamina and our run ended up being a hoppy-walk for about .25 miles if even. It was so embarrassing.) Jason has really wanted to be able to run together and he joked that if I didn't learn to run then he would tie a rope around my waist and drag me along...LOL Even though he said it in a joking way, I knew he was still serious. I didn't realize how important it was to Jason that this be something we can share. Now I know and now it makes me want to do it all the more!
So now I have a bunch of reasons to motivate me to do this triathlon and now that I've told you all, you can keep me accountable...eek.
I really am excited to see what happens. I'm already feeling better after I exercise! Woohoo!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you!! It is amazing how much better I feel when I excercise.

NK

My name is April. said...

I believe in you! That's really cool. Discipline in excercise ends up impacting so many other areas of your life. How exciting to participate in the triathlon. That's an awesome goal. I wish you the best!

The Domestic Intellectual said...

Cool! I am glad that you found a goal, buddies and extra incentive! I have decided to not do a triathlon right now, because it seems to make my work outs more of an obsessive need to get better or stronger, etc. rather than letting me rejoice in the strength and speed that God has given me. Maybe I'll reconsider if I can run one with my baby sis:-) Lets see how this Sept. goes, and maybe we can plan to do the Danskin tri in July next year.... Gen would love that!

Anonymous said...

Hey girl! You never told me what the exact tri date was! September what? I know you're going to love it! (and hate it at the same time!) I'm very excited for you! The motto for the Danskin Tri is "The woman who starts the race is not the same woman who finishes the race." It's sooooo true! Love you, Gen

TulipGirl said...

Ack! Wow!

Momma Amy said...

Congrats on getting your certificate and now being officially CERTIFIED!!! Yeah! How professional sounding. :)

Talk to you soon!

Splendiferous MT said...

Hey Gen, the date of the tri is Sept 8th. Too soon! Ach!